Candidate information for students registered to run in the 2018 election is now up!
The approach of the annual ASGSR conference means that it’s time to elect new student officers for the 2018-2019 year! Serving as a student officer has many benefits, including:
- Travel assistance in exchange for volunteering at ASGSR 2019
- Funded trip to Washington DC in Spring 2019, where you will join the ASGSR board members in meeting congressional staff to advocate for space science!
- Networking and mentorship from ASGSR, NASA, and CASIS leadership as well as from professionals working in academia and industry
- Volunteer and networking opportunities at other space-research conferences throughout the year
- Flexibility to pursue education/outreach projects related to space science
- Collaborate with a great group of other students!
This year, there will be a number of changes to the student election format. First, the number of officer positions has been reduced to six; but we will expanding the opportunities for students who don’t hold officer positions to get involved with group leadership by serving on committees or just staying updated using slack. Second, the officer terms will now be 1 year instead of 2, to allow more students to have a chance to serve. Finally, the vice president position has been replaced by the president-elect. The 2018-2019 president-elect will participate in the student group in a vice president capacity, and will take over as president for the student group in the 2019-2020 year. Since this is the first year for this change, we will need to elect both a president and a president elect.
The open student positions are:
- President Elect
- Merchandise Coordinator
- Web and Social Media Coordinator
- DC Trip Coordinator
- Education, Outreach, and Social Chair
Additional details on the time commitments and responsibilities of these officers are described here: ASGSR student positions.
The student election will take place during the student mixer on November 1st, 2018 at the ASGSR conference in Bethesda. Due to time constraints, the entirety of the election procedure should take no more than 20 minutes. Candidates will be voted for in a ranked-choice system to increase the chances of getting matched to your ideal position.
To register as a candidate, please fill out this form by Monday, October 29th, 2018. Candidate information will be periodically updated on the website to allow students to acquaint themselves with the candidates prior to the election. Depending on the number of applicants, candidates may be asked to prepare short (2 minute) speeches for the student banquet. These details will be sent by email.
Thank you for your interest in serving ASGSR!